Friday, 6 December 2013

GURNEY DRIVE - Bringing Penang to You

Ang Mo Kio Central is one of my usual hangouts especially when there is an NTUC xtra located at the hub. I had never set foot into this small eating place whenever I walked passed it. I would take the escalator to the 2nd level and dine in the Japanese restaurant instead. I always thought that its just a normal local delights and nothing too special about it. I bought an offer from Groupon so I gave it a try on the so-called Penang food. They had the eating house environment and people would sit on stools. They also sell the local Penang Tou Sar Pau and cookies. I was browsing the menu on my choices of food and indeed, the menu offers a great variety of selections. It made me hesitated for a while. The menu can be found here. I had so many choices in mind, and finally I had decided on the Penang Nasi Lemak and the Penang Fried Kway Tiao. The food came and it look quite attractive. The chilli for the Nasi Lemak was extremely hot. The Nasi Lemak was better than those coffeeshop and hawker stalls, worth a try. 



The Fried Kway Tiao was also tasty. Not too bad and not spicy enough for me though. It is also worth a try. It had many ingredients added to it and the prawns were very fresh. The prices were reasonable and affordable. I also had an additional dish, my favourite Sambal Stingray. I always tried those from seafood stalls so why not try the Penang style stingray. 



The chilli was good especially the chao ta (over-cooked) taste, and it felt like hawker food. This is a must try item in the menu. After all these spiciness, I also tried their local desserts, the Chendol. Nice and I like it. Maybe because it eases my hot tongue... 


This place attracted quite a crowd in this neighbourhood. It is lively especially on weekends where familes and friends can find the local taste of hawker food. It is conveniently located at the Jubilee Entertainment Center, level 1.


Address:
61 Ang Mo Kio Ave 8
#01-07, S'pore 569814

Nearest Station: Ang Mo Kio

Rating: 3.5 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment